RESPONSE OF THE TOKYO ARCHDIOCESE FOR THE PERIOD FROM SEPTEMBER 13 AND BEYOND
Dear brothers and sisters in the Archdiocese of Tokyo:
RESPONSE OF THE TOKYO ARCHDIOCESE
FOR THE PERIOD FROM SEPTEMBER 13 AND BEYOND
In the announcement issued on August 14, we have informed everyone that public masses will be suspended due to the declaration of a state of emergency in Metropolitan Tokyo and Chiba Prefecture which belong to the Archdiocese of Tokyo.
After the Archdiocese had made this announcement regarding the suspension of public masses until September 12, the government also declared the extension of the state of emergency up to September 12. At this point, although it may seem that the spread of COVID-19 infection is being controlled to some extent, we have also received information that the government is considering further extension of the emergency declaration.
As previously announced, the Archdiocese will make the decision on or before September 5 concerning the appropriate response for the period from September 13 and beyond. Therefore, we would like to inform you of the following decision.
If the government lifts the declaration of the state of emergency as originally planned on September 12, the response of the Archdiocese starting from the next day, September 13, will be to shift to Stage 3 precautionary measures and public masses will be resumed while observing careful sanitary controls. Details on Stage 3 precautionary measures will be announced before September 12.
However, if the government extends the emergency declaration, the current suspension of public masses will continue until the government declares the date of lifting the state of emergency.
In either case, we will make the announcement of the specific details concerning the suitable response before September 12.
Tarcisio Isao Kikuchi, SVD
Archbishop of Tokyo