Adachi Catholic Church
Adachi Catholic Church
Date of Establishment:
1957 (as of Dec.31,2008)
Noguchi, Shigemitsu Peter, S.D.B.
Number of Parishioners:
358 (as of Dec.31,2017)
Sunday Mass (All in Japanese):
Sunday School (All in Japanese):
2 Classes: Elementary School lower classes, Elementary School upper classes and Junior High School classes.
Both Classes are on Sundays, After 9:00 Mass for 1 hour.
Bible & Catechetical Study(All in Japanese):
The 4th Sunday 10:15 ˜ 11:00 for Catholics
Help to the Sisters of “Missionaries of Charity”.on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th Saturday with meal service for the aged people
3-40-27 Kohoku, Adachi-ku, Tokyo 123-0872
Facilities for the Handicapped:
Slope (or Barrier free), Elevator, Toilet
(From the east gate of JR Akabane station:) . GoogleMap
Take the Kokusai Kougyou Bus No.26 at the bus stand No.2 for “Toneli Danchi”. (From the north gate of JR Oji Station）
Take the Toei Bus No49 for Adachi Kuyakusho” or for “Senjyushako” at the bus stand No.4 .
(From Umejima Station of Tobu Isezaki Line)
Take the Toei Bus No.49 for Oji.
Get off at Tsubaki 2 chome bus stop, walk toward south direction to Kohokubashi .Turn right at the first trafic signal. The church is on the right side after 500 meters’ walk from the Tsubaki 2 chome bus stop.
Parking space: 8 cars
In 1957, a gentleman of the town, Mr. Fukuji Funatsu contributed his land property of 300 tsubo for the purpose of bringing up young people in the area. It had started as a sub-Parish of Mikawashima church in 1958. Later more properties were purchased from Mr. Funatsu. According to the original will of Mr. Funatsu, the Boy Scouts’ corps No. 6 had been established in 1964. In 1967 Adachi Salesio Kindergarten had been started and the church became the sub-parish of Mikawashima church. In 1972 the Girl Scouts Tokyo corps 104 had been established.In 1986, the sub parish became independent from Mikawashima church and formed a new Adachi Parish. Though the church had been started from very small group at the simple gathering place, as the parishioners increased it had been developed gradually by repeating repair and extension work of the place. In November,1997, the present church has been newly built since leaking of rain through the roof were getting very badly.The first chaplain and the head of the kindergarten was Fr.Zenkichi Josef Emi. After that Fr.Demleitner Karl, Fr. Renato Stefani, Fr. Shoichiro Kosaka, Fr. Giovanni Petracco, Fr. Richard Smith, Fr.Attilio Felicani, Fr. Joseph De Witte, Fr. Gentaro Yamano, Fr. Yoshihiro Omaki, Fr.Cesar Fraga and Fr. Yasuto Ishii were assigned to this church and kindergarten. Fr. Nakamaro Abe also helped the Church.All are Salesian Fathers.
The present Adachi Church
This church has a homely atmosphere and Kindergarten is in the same church yard. The Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts are both very active.About 80 people attend the Sunday Mass and after the Mass they enjoy the coffee time which people exchange mutual support and feel in family like unity in the cordial atmosphere of Adachi area. In the neighborhood Sisters of Infant Jesus and Missionaries of Charity live that create good environment to work together for common welfare activities.
The church community think about how to cope with aging people, how to hold catechetical class and visiting the sick and old people for caring. Recently more young mothers bring their preschool children to the Mass than before and we expect they will join our church community in the future so as to increase the parishioners.
By the reorganization of archdiocese of Tokyo, Adachi Church has belonged to Adachi Evangelical Cooperation Unit together with Mikawashima Church, Machiya Church, Umeda Church and Arakawa Church. As of now there is no big change but gradually new devices will be taken for the future of the Church.
(August, 2005 Tokyo Archdiocese News Letter)